Green Amendment Day is dedicated to education and engagement on the power of constitutional Green Amendments for protecting the rights of all people, including future generations, to a clean and healthy environment–with a particular focus on how Green Amendments transform our legal system to strengthen Environmental Justice. We’re challenging you to speak up and take action to demand environmental rights for ALL and to help spread the word across your community, state, and our nation.
9:00am EDT: Facebook Live with GAFTG Founder Maya van Rossum
Join Maya on Facebook to witness the official launch of Green Amendment Day! Hear what inspired Maya to claim July 13th as National Green Amendment Day and what we have in store for you throughout the day.
10:00am EDT: Green Amendment Day Youth Trivia is Live
Calling youth and students of all ages! We are offering a fun trivia game to test your knowledge on the Green Amendment Movement, using the Kahoot trivia platform. The challenge will go live at 10am and be available all day for students to complete in order to claim a free “I Stand for Environmental Rights” sticker. Register in advance here.
Legislative Champion Spotlight
Throughout Green Amendment Day, exclusive interviews with legislators will be released from different states who championed the Green Amendment Movement in this past year. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to check out these environmental changemakers!
- 11:00am EDT: Champion Spotlight with NY’s Assemblyman Englebright
- 1:00pm EDT: Champion Spotlight with ME’s Sen Maxmin & Sen. Bennett
- 3:00pm EDT: Champion Spotlight with WA’s Rep. Lekanoff
- 5:00pm EDT: Champion Spotlight with HI’s Sen. Gabbard
7:00pm EDT: Panel of Leading Environmental Justice Voices.
Join a presentation and panel of leading environmental justice voices from across the nation, united in ending environmental racism and restoring environmental justice through constitutional empowerment. Please register here. Speakers and panelists include:
- Kim Gaddy, Founder and Director, South Ward Environmental Alliance
- Kerri Evelyn Harris, Community Organizer and Advocate
- Senator Antoinette Sedillo Lopez, serving New Mexico’s 16th District and lead sponsor of the NM Green Amendment
- Maya van Rossum, Founder, Green Amendments For The Generations and the Delaware Riverkeeper
- Terry Sloan, Director, Southwest Native Cultures
- Dr. Sacoby Wilson, Associate Professor, Maryland Institute for Applied Environmental Health
Moderated by Maria Payan, Senior Regional Representative at Socially Responsible Agriculture Project (SRAP) and Sussex Health & Environmental Network (SHEN).
Take Any Action and Get Your FREE “I Stand For Environmental Rights” Sticker Now! By taking an action on our website, we will have the necessary contact information to mail your sticker. Start taking action now and up until July 13th, Green Amendment Day.
What you can do:
1. Sign & Share the Petition in support of A Green Amendment in Your State: Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia
Don’t see your state? Move on to Action 2 or 3!
2. All States – Sign & Share the Petition for the Federal Green Amendment: Green Amendments in every state across our nation are a crucial first step to transforming environmental protection and justice, but a federal Green Amendment is needed to hold our federal government officials accountable including the Congress, agencies, and the President.
3. All States – Write Your Legislator: No matter what state you live in, your legislators need to hear from you! It is vitally important that legislators understand the values of having a constitutional Green Amendment and are prepared to do everything they can to support one.
4. Donate $13 in honor of the 13 states with Green Amendment proposals: We need your support to help respond to the tremendous interest in this positive and powerful path for environmental protection and justice. Every single dollar helps us continue to fight for your and future generations’ right to a healthy environment.
5. Get 3 extra stickers when you send a handwritten letter or postcard to family or friends, educating them on the power of a Green Amendment! After completing this action, fill out this google form so we have all your information to send your sticker.
Here’s How You Can Spread the Green Amendment message on Social Media
- Reshare our educational posts or share why you support a Green Amendment!
- Use the #GreenAmendmentDay hashtag
- Tag GAFTG on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Use our Facebook or LinkedIn profile frames
- Rally your connections to make a donation
- After taking action on social media, claim your free sticker here!
Shop the Green Amendment Collection
Support pure water, clean air, a stable climate and healthy environments for all people by making a purchase from the Green Amendment Collection. In honor of Green Amendment Day, we are releasing two special items.
Environmental Rights T-Shirt – $25
This 100% cotton t–shirt spreads the word on the environmental rights that you didn’t know you don’t have! T-shirts are available in your choice of Leaf Green or Black and in both Ladies Slim cut and Unisex.
Print of Ashley Park’s “I Can’t Breathe” – $60
GAFTG is partnering with a local NJ youth artist, Ashley Park, to offer 11″ by 17″ prints of her painting, “I Can’t Breathe.” Ashley Park is a student at Bergen County Technical High School and a youth representative of the NJ Green Amendment Steering Committee. Ashley is also on the leadership team of NJ Student Sustainability Coalition.