Friends, we need you to dust off your summer activist jerseys and gear up to make our voices heard in Albany. Many decisions are being made and we need all your voices front and center.
Governor Cuomo’s Public Service Commission (PSC) is once again prioritizing gas utility profits over the survival of our planet. In their current gas planning proceeding, they ignored the demands of 200 elected officials and 130 organizations. Instead of creating a real plan to replace gas with renewable heating, cooking, and hot water services, the PSC made minor tweaks to the status quo. Minor tweaks do not provide the roadmap NY needs for an orderly and equitable gas phaseout.
Help AGREE tell the PSC that their proposal isn’t enough – we need a real plan to phase out the gas utilities! Here’s what you can do:
- Write a comment. Use this fact sheet to make a more personalized comment if you wish. To build the political pressure, we need thousands of comments to reach the PSC by June 4th, and there are currently fewer than 1,000, so please tell your family, friends, and anyone who shares this planet as a home to submit a comment as well.
- Please share this message and tell others to do the same.
On 5/12 and 5/13, the Public Service Commission held public hearings on this sham of a gas planning process, and over 40 people testified against it with righteous anger. Some noted how the PSC has allowed gas utilities to build strongly opposed pipelines through their communities. Others explained that “natural” gas has never been a bridge fuel, and emphasized how methane exacerbates climate change. Others made poignant comments about Gen-Z children who believe they have no future. Everyone encouraged the PSC to stand up and do the right thing.
What was demanded:
- A halt to all new gas infrastructure
- Binding gas reduction targets
- An equitable and affordable transition to renewable heat